Saturday, August 13, 2011

Proverbs 31:17

I've enjoyed looking back over these devotions we had done last year. Sometimes they have been more of a help to me now than they were when I first wrote them. My prayer is that whoever reads them will also find some help from the Word of God.


She girdeth her loins with strength, and strengtheneth her arms.


Again, we see the virtuous woman as one that is not afraid to work hard, and involved in doing much physical labor. God does not want us to have strength as a man, but at least work hard so that we have strength in our arms.

1 Timothy 4:8 For bodily exercise profiteth little:...

The Bible points out that exercise does profit something, but we should not be obsessed with our physical body-building. Some good examples of things that would help her strengthen her arms, while being in the position God wants her to be, are:

-lifting, carrying, and holding babies

-unloading groceries

-carrying heavy laundry baskets

-scrubbing floors

-vacuuming

-kneading dough

-stirring things

-carrying in wood for your husband

-if you're like me, moving furniture :)

This does not mean we should not allow our husbands/sons to carry things for us when they are around. (Hopefully they will offer to.) It is not that we are weak, but it shows respect for us as the weaker vessel.

1 Peter 3:7 “Likewise, ye husbands, dwell with them according to knowledge, giving honour unto the wife, as unto the weaker vessel, and as being heirs together of the grace of life.”


Solomon, the wisest person that ever lived, said in Ecclesiastes 9:16 “Then said I, Wisdom is better than strength:”

“Spiritual strength” is more important than physical strength. God wants us to have HIS strength. Phillippians 4:13 “I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.”


In looking through my Bible's concordance for verses with the word ‘strength’, almost all of the verses referred to God’s strength. We find His strength in His Word. Jesus Christ says in 2 Corinthians 12:9 “My grace is sufficient for thee; for my strength is made perfect in weakness.” And Paul in verse 10“...for when I am weak, then am I strong.”

There were times when Paul felt alone: 2 Timothy 4:16-17 “At my first answer no man stood with me, but all men forsook me: I pray God that it may not be laid to their charge. Notwithstanding the Lord stood with me, and strengthened me; that by me the preaching might be fully known, and that all the Gentiles might hear: and I was delivered out to the mouth of the lion.”


At times we also may feel alone:

-in the world

-in our family

-in the church

-from a lack of appreciation, maybe even from our husband


The Apostle Paul encouraged himself in the Lord...sometimes it may not come from anywhere else.


David also encouraged himself in the Lord: 1 Samuel 30:6 “And David was greatly distressed; for the people spake of stoning him, because the soul of all the people was grieved, every man for his sons and for his daughters: but David encouraged himself in the Lord his God.”


By faith we must trust in God’s Word; that is where our strength must come from. Think of people that must feel so alone sometimes, like those who have lost their spouse, or who have been abandoned and left with children to raise by themselves. They may get encouragement from family or church members, but ultimately, their comfort, help, and strength must come from the Lord. I don't understand how someone who hasn't trusted the Lord can make it through difficult times without Him.


Who else was girded?

David: Psalm 18:32 “It is God that girdeth me with strength, and maketh my way perfect.”

Psalm 18:39 “For thou hast girded me with strength unto the battle: thou hast subdued under me those that rose up against me.” His strength came from God, who allowed him to defeat his enemies.


Jesus Christ: John 13:4 “He riseth from supper, and laid aside his garments; and took a towel, and girded himself. After that he poureth water into a bason, and began to wash the disciples’ feet, and to wipe them with the towel wherewith he was girded.”

Christ is our ultimate example of a servant. He(God), humbled himself to serve others. Philippians 2:7-8 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross. We must have His strength to humble ourselves to serve others.


Surely the virtuous woman of Proverbs 31 had others in mind when she girded her loins and strengthened her arms. She was probably putting forth much effort to provide things for her family, not for herself. (Food, clothing, etc.) We must put ourselves on the back burner, so to speak, and with our hearts and lives, serve God by serving others. And remember, we ARE serving God by taking care of our first ministry, which is our home, husband, and children.


GOD'S WORD WORKS!!!

2 comments:

  1. Good post!

    I do have a thought on the physical exercise thing, though. We have so many modern conveniences that we don't have to do all the hard work that women in Bible days had to do, so I find that if I don't get some exercise outside of household chores, I'm probably not getting enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's very true...good point! :)

    ReplyDelete